Who We Are:
Gateway Arch Park Foundation (formerly the CityArchRiver Foundation) is a non-profit organization partnered with the National Park Service, Great Rivers Greenway, City of St. Louis, Bi-State Development, Jefferson National Parks Association, and other civic interest groups to revitalize the Gateway Arch grounds, museum and surrounding areas. The Foundation successfully raised $250 million in support of the CityArchRiver project which opened in July 2018. The organization has transitioned to a conservancy, continuing to oversee new projects that will improve the visitor experience, collaborating with public partners, and fundraising for annual operations, maintenance and programming needs and the endowment to meet the future needs of operations, maintenance and programming for the finished project areas. Major current initiatives include the development of a volunteer services program. The program will support Foundation operations and the National Park Service to enhance the visitor experience and connect the community to Gateway Arch National Park. Learn more about us and our exciting vision at www.ArchPark.org
We are seeking a dynamic, creative and passionate professional for a newly created, exciting position at the Foundation. This individual reports to the Director of Foundation Operations, with counsel from the Volunteer Coordinator of Gateway Arch National Park, to create and implement a volunteer program for the Foundation and augment services of Park staff. Under the direction of the Director of Foundation Operations, the Volunteer Manager works with senior staff, members of the development, communications, administrative teams, National Park Service staff and other partner organization staff. This position will lead in the creation and management of a volunteer services program for the Foundation and coordinate with the volunteer program at Gateway Arch National Park. This is a full-time salaried position.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Evaluate Foundation volunteer needs inclusive of public and private events, general office support, development/membership and community events.
- Identify and create volunteer opportunities within the Foundation, the Park and the community to increase awareness of the Foundation’s mission.
- Work with National Park Service staff to identify and evaluate Park volunteer needs, enhance existing positions and develop new volunteer positions that serve the Park’s visitors.
- Facilitate group volunteer activities for community organizations, businesses, and schools in coordination with appropriate NPS staff.
- Development and management of volunteer recruitment, vetting, policies and guidelines and orientation, training and onboarding. Work within guidelines of NPS volunteer recruitment practices.
- Serve as a leader for volunteer activities by planning and implementation of volunteers at events handling logistics, equipment setup, registration, and follow up.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion within volunteer program.
- Build and foster volunteer relationships to increase loyalty and commitment to serve resulting in volunteer retention.
- Build a volunteer database and manage all aspects of online tracking including agreements, service hours, trainings, etc.
- Compile monthly reports and report results and trends.
- Evaluate volunteer program to determine effectiveness through evaluating the supervision of volunteers and the roles volunteers play at the Foundation and in the national park.
- Plan, schedule and lead Volunteer Advisory Committee meetings.
- Actively participate in park and partner meetings and committees to stay informed of and fulfill operational needs.
- Manage all volunteer communications by maintaining open communication with volunteers through e-mails, mailings, trainings, and meetings.
- Work with Communications team to develop and maintain the volunteer section of the Foundation’s website.
- Assist in planning, monitoring and reporting on volunteer budgeting.
- Ensure volunteer program compliance with all safety and risk management requirements.
- Continue education and network by attending seminars and functions concerning volunteer management topics.
- Identify and secure opportunities for outreach with community groups to promote the Foundation’s mission and increase recruitment.
- Manage or assist with other Foundation projects and events as needed.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge & Skills
- Minimum of 3-5 years successful experience in management with at least one- year experience as a supervisor in volunteer management or related experience and training.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university. Volunteer Services, Non-Profit Management, Parks and Recreation, or related field or equivalent preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with community-based work; capacity and desire to work with diverse constituencies and a commitment to public interest.
- Proven experience working with multiple staff, volunteers, and program responsibilities.
- Possess the ability to work independently and within a collaborative environment with all levels of staff, NPS employees, guests, and volunteers.
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret and work within Foundation and NPS procedures and guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, prioritize multiple time-sensitive tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Possess strong organizational and administrative skills inclusive of budget management and reporting.
- A self-motivated individual with proven leadership abilities.
- Outstanding communication, presentation, writing and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop effective partnerships with internal and external constituencies.
- Experience in implementing a volunteer or related program is a plus.
- Ability and willingness to work nights and weekends and to work outdoor and indoor events.
- Excellent computer skills including intermediate level of proficiency or above with Microsoft office applications. Working knowledge of database software is preferred.
- Passion for our mission and motivation to exceed expectations in order to make a positive contribution to the organization and greater community.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a safe driving record.
- Ability to stand and sit for extended periods of time while staffing both indoor and outdoor events throughout the year.
- Ability to occasionally lift and move up to forty (40) pounds.
If you are qualified and interested, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. All resumes and inquiries will be treated as confidential.